Thursday, March 22, 2007

A Slant On Horse Training.....

Here's a slant on horsetraining that you'll find interesting reading. You know, I wish there was more Australian material I could refer to but there ain't!!!
Anyway, I know people who will agree or disagree with this article and also with my comments. Personally I agree that training 'out' the bad habits that have been trained 'into' a horse is very difficult. Again, I liken it to humans (although a horse is generally intellectually a non-starter here) in that you have to have a realisation that something is wrong before you can get it fixed. There are some horses that come to that realisation quickly and are easy to fix. In my experience that's a real minority and so the process can be long, frustrating and may involve some pretty hard lessons. It's strange but we often use the phrase 'no pain, no gain' don't we when we set oursleves some physical goals and yet apply that phrase to a horse and you'll get the 'cruelty' accusation thrown at you!!! Perhaps it's all to do with voluntary and involuntary....but if a horse doesn't 'want' to be retrained then what do you do?

Enough banter from me, here's the article

No comments: