Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Royal Easter Horse Show

Just got back from the Sydney Royal Easter Show on Sunday. We'd spent 4 days down there supporting the ASH horse competitions and my grateful thanks go to Jackie Long and her great team for putting up with me! They treated me very well!
The show of course is huge and supposed to bring the country and the city together and I suppose in some ways it does....there's a definite city side and country side to the show though!! The main arena was packed for the motorbike morons, ladies shot from cannons, crazed Ute drivers and stunt men riding motorbikes inside what looked like a small round steel cage, (One fell off and carnage ensued. Not Nice!). When they'd all finished, the arena emptied to the country people watching the various horse competitions....see what I mean about city and country?

Whilst there I looked at other things too and I was amazed at the skill of the cutting horses and their riders...terrific control and 100% concentration from the horses! Kim Durante won Champion Hack at the show for at least the second year running....her horse looking great courtesy of H10 of course but Kim doing a wonderful job to win the Top Show Horse accolade.

I had the pleasure of presenting some awards to ASH competition winners and I have to say that the Show Stewards were superb in their hospitality and friendliness. They do a sometimes difficult job, admirably! Looking around that huge arena I thought how nervous I would have been competiting but I thought that most of the competitions I saw were professional and a credit to horsemanship.

AND, I didn't get to sample a Dagwood Dog, or even a plate of chips but I did buy the required showbags otherwise my welcome home wouldn't have been quite so enthusiastic! I'll have another newsletter at the end of this week with lots of links to interesting 'horsey' articles.

By the way, after some delay we've 3 copies of 'Chicken Soup For The Horse Lovers Soul' in stock. This terrific book is VERY difficult to get hold of in Australia and we're selling them at $25 - the shop price is $32.95 so there's a decent discount and they are brand new. Get one whilst you can, they make great presents! Go to www.h10.com.au. for the details and a description.

No comments: